Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Finally Some Pictures!

We've lived here almost three months and I haven't had good enough internet to download many pictures. But, we finally got the internet going and here's what has happened the past few weeks. 




We are LOVING having a place to do all of our family stuff without bothering everyone! I used to think that I was just losing my touch because I couldn't get everything done while we lived in the basement. Now, I'm realizing, it was just a matter of environment. I am able to get up early, get my chores done, go to bed early, take care of myself and accomplish SO much. I even have time to iron six outfits before Sunday.

Playing board games is much more fun too. Did you know that natural light can reduce depression and anxiety by 60%. The basement had one window and it was only about 2 feet by 2 feet. This window spot is our favorite place to iron, play games, read and eat snacks. These boys are not supposed to be messing with the Stratego game...I did stop them after I took the picture. 


It's also much more fun being sick in one's own house. Everyone caught a light flu bug a few weeks ago. I'm very kind to sick babies, but I am also very firm about their mobility while sick. I don't like to quarantine them away from the family, but they are given a pallet of blankets, covered in a towel and a bucket and some tea. They have to park their sick bed near the bathroom door and next to the warm fire. 


The boys are getting good at building fires and I turned the job over to them. It took a little bit of learning from James, but they are getting it! Just in time for Spring. 


There's no better place to play Snow Princess. That poor dress has been washed three times. 




The stairs are finally getting finished and I'll post pictures when they are completely finished. These two boys are taking a break from bringing in wood. 


We have had a lot of time with James lately. He hasn't had to leave in a few months, which is a blessing. We're making up for 9 years of him being out of state every other week. 


I can't tell you how much I love my kitchen...even though the cabinets still haven't arrived! It has been a month! But, I make due in our makeshift kitchen just fine. I'm trying out new and old recipes now that I have my magical, precious recipe box back. This recipe is poached eggs with a yogurt sauce. It's something you would eat for breakfast in the middle east. We can't afford to haul our family to other countries, so we bring them here. Some of our favorites are...Ratatouille, Feijoada, Loco Moco (from Hawaii), Papusas, and Roti and Curry. 



I got my sofas! I love them! I waited a year for these after 2 years of hand-me-downs and 10 years of James' sofas that he picked out from American Furniture Warehouse...we thought they were lovely at the time, and now I find them atrocious. If only I had known Laurel Bern back then. They are pretty sturdy and I'm hoping they will hold up to 5 wild boys and 2 wild girls. 



I'm not finished with this room and even though that's a good quality, untufted wool rug, I think it's too small for this space, so it might be going elsewhere. I also need two more chairs.


This is the partially finished stairwell. We are painting the entire dining room Rolling Hills by Benjamin Moore. 

I saw this color in a hundreds of years old house and I fell in love with it. Some colors seem to be neither here nor there, but this one has so much depth, and even my non-designer eye children love it and compliment it. It'll bring some interest to a very white house. 

I do love a good white room...and that is NOT a trend, no matter what HGTV says...white is always a classic and will always be...but some rooms benefit from some color. 

I think it depends on the room. I think we'll leave the living room Benjamin Moore Cotton Balls white, but we'll be painting some other rooms more moody colors. I like moody. 


Audra's bathroom is almost finished! All we need is a layer of grout and some cabinets. She wants her room to be blue. I'm on the hunt for the perfect shade. I'm such a picky paint selector and I won't just grab a tab from Lowe's. It has to be tried and tested by designers and I need to see it in multiple lightings and venues before I okay it in my home. I've narrowed it down to two colors...I'll do a post on that later. 


And here is a terrible picture of the pocket room. The beloved pocket room. I was teased about this room endlessly until we started using it for everything from a guest room, to a rest room, to a board game room, to a napping room, to a piano keyboard playing room and a sewing room. It's so useful. Not a big room, but very functional. Right now we are hosting guests in it. 

That is an overview of life right now. The snow is slowly melting....but it snowed last night. I think this is the last for a while and I think it will melt fast. 

Next up is Easter. We have waited and waited to establish some of our own traditions. We'll be making kites, hot "cross" buns, and painting Easter paintings to give as gifts. We'll also have an egg hunt and an egg roll. I LOVE holidays. Easter is one of my favorites for traditions. I am trying hard not to be bothered by all the messes. Crafts equal messes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spring is in the Air

With planting season under way, we had a week of really wet weather and James was able to be home to work on the house again. I was so ple...